Official bulletin from Wikimedia Italia Association.
Amsterdam Hackathon 2013
Over the weekend from May 24 to 26, the Wikimedia Hackathon 2013 was held in Amsterdam. The annual gathering, which brings together all Wikimedian interested in the development of MediaWiki and other Wikimedia projects, was organized by Wikimedia Nederland and was held at the Stayokay hostel. There were about a hundred Wikimedian; the participants appreciate the Dutch organization which was impeccable. Cristian (vicepresident of Wikimedia Italia) was present on behalf of Wikimedia Italia and Wiki Loves Monuments international group. In addition to numerous other projects, Wikimedia Labs were presented: tjey are the new infrastructure that will manage the development of new tools for Wikimedia sites.
Wikimedia Italia is hiring
Are you determined, do you like to work in teams, to interact with the public? Are you willing to learn some new computer program?! Then read the announcement for a secretarial employee published by Wikimedia Italia. Our staff is growing! All specifications can be found on the dedicated page: here we anticipate that the workplace is in Monza (with occasional short trips) and that the type of commitment required will be 20 hours per week (horizontal or vertical part-time).
The announcement is aimed at candidates of both sexes (L.125/91) and will remain valid until 15 June 2013.
If you are interested, send your CV and a presentation letter to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veneto in Wikipedia
Veneto in Wikipedia is a competition, organized by our member Professor Corrado Petrucco from the University of Padua together with Enrica Pagano and Simonetta Boscolo in collaboration with Wikimedia Italia, planned to invite classes of students of schools of all levels to create or improve entries on Wikipedia. Monday, June 3 a meeting will be held for the closure of the project. Cotton will participate for Wikimedia Italia: Cotton will talk in particular about the criteria used for the evaluation of new entries in Wikipedia created by the children. At the conclusion of the meeting the best work will be awarded. The event will take place from 16:00 at the "Einaudi Gramsci" institute (via delle Palme, 1 35137 Padova); here the complete program.
Wikimedia Foundation is looking for Italian-speaking people
The Engineering and Product Developement department of the Wikimedia Foundation is looking for two or thres Community Liaison, Product Development, i.e. representatives of the local Wikimedian community who will act as intermediaries between users and the engineering team, supporting them in the activation phase of new extensions on the sites of projects of the Wikimedia Foundation. This would be a task for a period of about 3 months, which requires a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week. In particular the urgent need at the moment is on the launch of Visual Editor on Wikipedia in different languages; they will need, for example, to explain to their community the news and manage useful feedback tools significant to the computer development department. Basic requirements are knowledge of the English language (as well as Italian), years of experience as active users on Wikimedia sites (not just Wikipedia) and excellent communication skills. To apply, you must write to Philippe Beaudette at email@example.com. Read through the requirements and then, if you know you have a few free hours to devote each day, you can apply or invite some Wikimedian friend to do so.
Pages most seen on Italian Wikipedia
The list with the most visited articles in Italian Wikipedia has just be updated. Reading it provided an insight on how users make use of the free encyclopedia. In April, for example, Italian politics and television series are the most browsed categories of voices.
- May 30, Crema: Virginia Gentilini will speak at the conference Librarians tell themselves: challenges, opportunities and alliances organized by the Cremona Libraries' Network, talking of the relationship between Wikipedia and the world of libraries. What does it mean to be Wikipedian librarians? Citing his personal experience, Virginia will attempt to answer this question, revealing the possible future developments of the librarian's role and its relationship with users. The meeting (here the full program) will begin at 9:30 am and will take place at the S. Pietro da Cemmo Hall of the S. Agostino Augustine (Museo Civico - piazza Winifred Terni de Gregory). You can register online. Other information may be obtained by phone (0372/406283) or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 8, Bologna': after the success of the meeting of May 4, it was decided to replicate the laboratory on Wikipedia aimed at beginners. The course, part of the cycle Wikipedia in the Library, is free and will be held again by P tasso. The appointment is at 15:00 in the Sala Internet (hall of Bramante) of Salaborsa Library of Bologna.
- 10 June, Bologna: Virginia Gentilini and Atropine will hold an introductory meeting on Wikipedia at the center of documentation of the Arcigay in Bologna, "Il Cassero", starting at about 17.00. This will be an informal chat in the hope of establishing a more structured collaboration in the future. The official website of the center is www.cassero.it, but it is currently under renovation, so we suggest you also check their official facebook page for all the updates.
- 27 May and 3 June, Bagno a Ripoli (FI): at the Municipal Library, introductory course to Wikipedia for users (from 16.30 to 18.30). Teacher: Susanna Giaccai.
- 5 And 12 June, Borgo San Lorenzo (Florence): introductory course to Wikipedia for librarians, at the computer room at the Union of Municipalities of Montana Mugello (from 9 to 13). Teacher: Susanna Giaccai.
Notice: this newsletter is exclusively intended for information about Wikimedia Italia, both to its members and to the general public; as per Art. 1, Comma 2, Legge 7 marzo 2001 no. 62, it is not an editorial product