Wikimedia News no. 62 - October 16, 2013
Official bulletin from Wikimedia Italia Association.
Members' Meeting - October 2013
Saturday, October 19, will be a busy and important day for Wikimedia Italia! At the Biblioteca Salaborsa in Bologna there will be a public meeting in the morning led by some of the members of the association joined by guest friends, while in the afternoon there will be the semiannual members' meeting. The appointment of the morning will be at the Auditorium Enzo Biagi, from 10:00 to 13:00. It is open to all, so we invite everyone to attend. The underlying theme of the presentation will be Libraries and Wikipedia: meetings and possibilities. The objective is to discuss values, aims and perspectives that bind Wikipedia and other wiki projects to libraries.
Speakers : Luca De Biase (Journalist); Frieda Brioschi (President of Wikimedia Italia); Andrea Zanni (Head of the Wikimedia Italia projects); Virginia Gentilini (Biblioteca Salaborsa); Piero Grandesso (Wikipedian).
The official Members' Meeting of Wikimedia Italia will start at 14:00 (second call), at the Atelier of the Urban Center. Among the topics we will discuss the events for the next year and the organization of Wikimania 2015, we will ratify the resolutions of the Board of Directors; but mainly this is an opportunity to meet in person and exchange ideas freely. Some practical notes:
- only those who have paid the registration fee for 2013 will be entitled to vote;
- in case you can not be present, you can delegate another member (see this page for full details);
- you must register by filling out the online form (by Friday, 18 October, noon);
- for any practical information (including beds and hitches by car) see the dedicated page, updated until the last minute.
Bibliohackathon is around the corner: on October 26th in Florence at the National Central Library Wikipedians, librarians and geeks will gather to kick off this pilot project, in which representatives of each category will work together to learn and discuss something useful from each other. For this purpose, several workshops have been planned, among which we point out those about Thesaurus, Wikidata, VIAF, Pywikipediabot and OpenAccess. The beginning of the meeting is fixed at 9 for reception, while the work will start at 10:00 and end at 18:00. To participate, you must refer to the event page and get a (free) ticket on Eventbrite. If you want to contribute and help the organization, in this guide you will find original suggestions on what to do and how to structure a Hackathon.
The ninth edition of the International Meeting Euro - Mediterranean Medical Informatics and Telemedicine (Emmit 2013) will take place in Nador, Morocco, From October 21 to 23. The goal of the Meeting is to bring together experts from academia, industry representatives and global health institutions, with the aim of stimulating debate on research and share experiences with health care providers and policy makers. Tuesday, October 22, among the speakers our Francesco Tarantini will present Nursing and healthcare on Wikipedia, a project that wants to bring the world's most popular online encyclopedia to be a reliable source of health information. Francesco, along with Wikimedia Italia and IRCCS-National Cancer Institute of Milan, involved three of his nursing students in the preparation of dissertations that address the issue of the presence of articles about healthcare on Wikipedia. The students will have to re-edit the articols on : nurses, nursing, IPASVI (National Federation of Nurses' Colleges). Francesco will be accompanied by one of his students. The project also involves other people, including Ilario (Wikimedia CH) and James M Heilman (Wiki Project Medicine).
Past and future appointments
- October 5: Wikimedia Italia has participated to Bibliopride in Florence. The title of the meeting was Libraries and Wikipedia: sharing of open data and skills. Following the event two speakers shared online the slides (in Italian) used in the presentation: Aubrey, Libraries and Wikipedia: suspected allies; Virginia Gentilini, training projects wiki for users of libraries and librarians.
- Wikimedia Switzerland: recurring meetings for Wikimedians. The Italian community in Switzerland organizes meetings every two weeks in the Libri al Centro bookstore (via Vegezzi 4, Lugano). If you are interested in participating, you can write to Community Liaison, Ilario Valdelli. The start date and times will be communicated via e-mail to Italian-speaking members.
- October 18, Milan. On Radio Popolare, in the transmission Big Fish, a column with working title "Stories of Wiki" will be broadcasted; a story will be told starting from an article of Wikipedia. For the first episode, the narrator will be Maurizio Codogno. The scheduled time is between 13:45 and 14:00.
- October 25-26-27, Florence. Wikimedia Italy participates to the Social Innovation Camp as a technical partner; we will be part of the jury and will play the role of tutor to the winning projects. You can sign up for free here .
- November 7, Treviso. The meeting aimed at librarians Nuove biblioteche per nuovi lettori (New libraries for new readers) organized by the province of Treviso for the 2013 edition of Veneto Lettura (Veneto Reading) will have a presentation on libraries and Wikipedia that will be held by Virginia Gentilini.
- November 12, Milan. Event New Media and information. Within the project Fuorigeco, the meeting will be held at The Hub Milan, from 19 to 21. Among the guests, Frieda Brioschi (President of Wikimedia Italia), together with Carlo Freccero and Alessandra Ghisleri; the meeting is moderated by Jacopo Tondelli.
Notice: this newsletter is exclusively intended for information about Wikimedia Italia, both to its members and to the general public; as per Art. 1, Comma 2, Legge 7 marzo 2001 no. 62, it is not an editorial product