Wikimedia news/numero 72/en
Official bulletin from Wikimedia Italia Association.
Wikimedia News no. 72, March 20, 2014
A Wikipedian in residence at MART
MART, Contemporary and Modern Art Museum of Trento and Rovereto, Italy, and Wikimedia Italia announce the opening of a call for a Wikipedian in residence, that is, an experienced user of Wikipedia who will be present in the structure for a six-months period to assist in the creation of items related to the work of the museum. The (paid) residence, the first of its kind in Italy, is scheduled for the period from May to October 2014, and is born after MART joined Wikipedia's GLAM Project.
The collaboration of the Wikipedian will be to upload images and documents on Wikimedia Commons and Wikisource, with the aim to strengthen the articles on museum-related work in the field of conservation, documentation, promotion and dissemination of art, to make freely available to a vast public a large and various data asset.
To apply, you must submit your CV in PDF format before Sunday, April 13, 2014, along with a covering letter to the address email@example.com, with te subject “Candidatura WIKIPEDIANO IN RESIDENZA – MART”. The full text (in English: the position requires detailed knowledge of Italian language, but it is open to everyone) of the call, with a detailed list of requirements, can be found on our site.
News from Italian OpenStreetMap
Starting from this number of Wikimedia News, we are happy to add a column about news from OpenStreetMap. (Wikimedia Italia is going to become the official Italian chapter of OSM). Note: in the English version of the newsletter we will publish only the news about initiatives happening in Italy.
- In Genoa, two associations collaborate with the school and the city administration, to try new ways to preserve some of the historic memories of the neighborhoods. There is a video about it.
Members' Meeting and members' cards
Saturday, April 5 in Florence, at Impact Hub, will host the General Shareholders' Meeting of Wikimedia Italia. The event is open to everyone! We invite each member to bring a friend and spread the word (you can also donate her or him a subscription :-) ). To participate you must register by filling out the simple form found at this link: anyone can book up to two tickets.
The meeting is called at 10:00 in first call and at 14:00 in second call; the program includes a morning session with a presentation of ongoing projects and an afternoon session in which the resolutions of the Board of Directors will be ratified, the final balance for year 2013, and the provisional balance for year 2014 will be approved; moreover a vote will be held for the renewal of part of the Board (remember that only members can vote up to date with the payment of the fee). Note: As required by our bylaws, all members who do not renew the subscription in 2013 will be declared forfeited. If you have any doubt about the status of your registration, please ask the secretariat. All details can be found on the relevant page of the relevant page of the Wikimedia Italia website (visible only to members); there you can also find information about availability of accommodation and transport, as well as the form for proxies.
In occasion of the meeting, member cards for 2014 are being shipped to the homes of all members. If you have changed your address this is the right time to let us know (by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Sestopedia meets the citizens
Some time ago Sestopedia project was launched: its aim is to create on Wikipedia a set of articles about the city of Sesto San Giovanni. Starting from the idea that a lot of information about the city lacking on the web and on the books, but are very present in the head of senior citizens, the project promoters have decided to involve the citizens asking to create Wikipedia entries, or simply to tell stories (filling out [a simple form) in order to spread them and make them available online to everyone.
In addition to virtual editorial work, the project includes several events and meetings with citizens: you may find the full list on the website. Here we would like to point out some imminent appointments: Saturday, March 22 we'll have a lecture entitled Writing in Wikipedia organized in collaboration with Wikimedia Italia at the library Cadioli. Saturday, March 29, citizens are invited to help in the collection of material to write entries on the gardens of the historic mansions of Sesto San Giovanni. This will be a preparatory meeting for the event promoted on the Liberation Day: from April 25 to 27, within the event Sestoinfiore it will open the path to the QR-codes in the historic gardens of Villa Mylius. The QR-pedia of all plants will be added, in collaboration with Fior di Mylius Association and Councillorship for the Environment.
The project Sestopedia is sponsored by the NGO Associazione Lavoro e Integrazione and is coordinated by Giusi Castelli; Giusi is a member of Wikimedia Italia and is very active on the mailing list of the association, where reports all the news reports of the project (to subscribe to the mailing list, contact: email@example.com).
Appointments and press news
- On Thursday, March 13th, Wikimedia Italia was present at the Convegno delle Stelline, an annual event dedicated to the world of libraries. This year focused on the theme The connected library. How to change the strategies for service in the social networking era. Our association with its volunteers and the President, held an information office for librarians interested in exploring the relationship between Wikipedia and the world of libraries. We take this opportunity to thank who hosted us: DataManagement, a manufacturer of the digital ebook platform ReteIndaco, which partnered with Wikimedia Italia to add books created in Wikisource to its catalog.
- On March 15, 2014, Arts-Spettacolo.com sported the first interview with the new president of Wikimedia Italia, Andrea Zanni. Happy reading!
- As previously announced, Monday, March 10 a press conference was held of presentation of the project Wikipedia goes to school @ Asti, promoted by associations We-Land and CreATive Asti, with the cooperation of the Wikimedia Italia. The meeting saw a large participation of public and professionals, the organizers have already gathered the support of several teachers involved in the project and, in addition, the University Centre of Asti said they are willing to accommodate some moments of the formation of teachers. A video was posted to witness the event, and several newspapers reported the news, including, for example La Stampa. The deadline to return the form of participation is Monday, March 31: here there are all the details.
- The European Union has published a Consultation on the European copyright law, open to the public and containings 80 questions. Wikimedia Italia has sent an official response with the other chapters in Europe and beyond, following a public discussion on Meta-Wiki.
Notice: this newsletter is exclusively intended for information about Wikimedia Italia, both to its members and to the general public; as per Art. 1, Comma 2, Legge 7 marzo 2001 no. 62, it is not an editorial product