Wikimedia news/numero 96/en
Official bulletin from Wikimedia Italia Association.
Wikimedia News n. 96 - February 26 2015
Wikimedia Italia member's meeting in Modena
Time flies; it's again the time of the spring annual meeting of Wikimedia Italia. The date is Saturday, March 21th, in Modena, where we will be guests of Biblioteca Comunale Crocetta (Crocetta Municipal Library, address: Largo M. Pucci 33). The meeting is the core gathering for the association, and a broad participation is essential. In this occasion there will be the election of two Board members; moreover, the financial statement for 2014 and the budget plan for 2015 will be approved. The meeting will be at 2pm, but the day is going to be full of events, since in the morning there will be a meeting with town's libraries (at Biblioteca Delfini - Corso Canalgrande 103). All logistic information are available in this page; the full agenda will be available soon. Seats are limited, so it is better to register online.
March 8th is the International Women's Day and we like to advertise few events to celebrate this holiday with Wikimedia! Do not miss the date with XX-CODING Perchè programmare è un gioco da ragazze! (Programming is a girls' play!), that will be held Saturday, March 7th at Biblioteca comunale di Trento, in partnership with the CoderDojo association, a group that aims to bring the youngest in the IT world. In this event, devoted to women, there will be an introduction to Wikisource and a workshop of proofreading for its texts. We would like to thank Eusebia Parrotto for her precise collaboration and we look forward to see many of you. in Florence, in the same week-end, there will be an hackathon, devoted to the creation and the improvement of female biographies in Wikipedia. The event will be coordinated by Anna Wainwright, PhD student at the New York University, and it will be hosted by our member Susanna Giaccai along with Manuelarosi. The initiative ties with the project ArtAndFeminism, an international movement aimed to the improvement of Wikipedia articles about women.
Wikimedia Italia at Social Media Week
During Social Media Week, on Monday February 23th a conference on "Wikipedia & Business" has been held. Cristian Consonni (Board member of Wikimedia Italia) was attending as speaker along with Federico Ascari (Tim), Nicoletta Vittadini (Università Cattolica) and Daniele Righi (Lundquist). The discussion was about the relationship between Wikipedia and firms, especially on the possible direct edit from the latter on articles about them, and the possible collaboration with Wikipedia editors. Cristian's speech had a big success on Twitter and the topic raised much interest.
Young programmers and Wikisource
A meeting devoted to programming and information technology was held Saturday February 14th at Trento library. Aimed to your people between 7 and 17 years old, it was organized by the CoderDojo movement and it involved about sixty attendees. The audience, under the guidance of Luca Melchionna and Eusebia Parrotto, worked on collaborative projects like Wikisource!
Wikipedia meets journalism
On Friday, April 17th, during the Festival del giornalismo di Perugia, there will be a workshop on the relationship between Wikipedia and journalism. The goal is to bring together the two communities to enrich and improve information. Andrea Zanni and Simone Cortesi, President and Vice-President of Wikimedia Italia, will join Alessandro Cimarelli and Andrea Nelson Mauro, co-founders of Dataninja, and Luca Corsato, co-founder of #Opendatavenezia, for an hackaton.
Lila in Milan
Lila Tretikov (Executive Director of Wikimedia Foundation) met the Italian community of wikipedians on February 18th in Milan. The event was kindly hosted by Tim at the Triennale. More than thirty people attended and Lila kindly answered their questions. On that day there was an extra showing for the exhibit of Wiki Loves Monuments in the TIM4Expo room, where Emma Tracanella (Project leader) introduced Lila to the exhibit and the winning pictures, for which she showed appreciation. The event ended with a small buffet.
- March 2-3, Florence: Luca Martinelli (Secretary of Wikimedia Italia) and Pierfranco Minsenti (Digital Librarian) will host the first Italian course on Wikidata for cultural heritage workers: Wikidata. Riuso dati aperti tra Wikipedia e Biblioteche. The meeting will be held at the Biblioteca di Scienze sociali of Firenze (via delle Pandette, 3 - Aula didattica); registration is mandatory and it should be performed at least 3 days before the course by writing an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more informations please write to email@example.com.
- March 4th, Rome: Liam Wyatt, member of Wikimedia italia, and Luca Martinelli (Secretary di Wikimedia Italia) will speak at the Workshop Accesso aperto al patrimonio culturale digitale e linked open data: strategie, progetti e nuove opportunità. The speeches are entitled British Museum and GLAM-Wiki: how everything started and Wikimedia Italia projects and GLAMs. The event will take place at 9AM in the Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale di Roma, it is promoted by ICCU, in collaboration with Ariadne, AthenaPlus, Biblioteca nazionale Centrale di Roma, Michael Culture Association, Wikimedia Italia. Attendance is free of charge, but registration is mandatory.
- March 11-12, Cyprus: conference Use and Re-Use of Digital Cultural Heritage Assets – Interoperability, Repositories and Shared infrastructures promoted under the EAGLE project. Luca Martinelli (Secretary) will speak about "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Free Licensing (But Were Afraid to Ask)".
News from OpenStreetMap
- On OpenStreetMap.org has been introduced a feature that allows the calculation of travel paths among two points using different pre-existing providers.
- Bike adventure around Asia is visualized using pictures on OpenStreetMap.
- The official Android app of ATM Milano shows stops and lines on OpenStreetMap.
- The American Red Cross published on GitHub an application for the gathering of data that uses OSM APIs, OpenMapKit.
- Waypointer.info is a new service that allows the download of sets of points in GPX format, useful for sat-navs.
- CartoDB provides a migration tool for Maps Engine users.