Official bulletin from Wikimedia Italia Association.
Wikimedia News no. 49, April 3 2013
Wiki Loves Monuments Italia 2013
The preparatory phase of the 2013 edition of Wiki Loves Monuments Italia has already started, and there are many ways in which you can help too: find new monuments, ask for permission to take photos with a free license, help us with editing Wikipedia entries; these are just a few possibilities. In this post, published on the official website of the contest, Emma Tracanella (project manager) summarizes the deadlines and the main phases of the project. To stay up to date on all developments, you can subscribe to the newly-born newsletter of Wiki Loves Monuments.
("Logo Wiki Loves Monuments Italia" by Jollyroger, Derived from File:LUSITANA_WLM_2011_d.svg, CC-BY-SA-3.0 via Wikimedia Commons)
"Open Access: il sapere liberato"
On Thursday 21 March, the Students' Forum of the Scuola Normale of Pisa has held a meeting making some considerations on the theme of open access to scientific literature, and the state of academic publishing. The meeting was called "OpenAccess, il sapere liberato" ("knowledge freed"), and it was attended by two members of the board of Wikimedia Italy, Lorenzo Losa (Laurentius) who was among the organizers and Andrea Zanni (Aubrey) as rapporteur, together with researchers Francesca Di Donato and Maria Chiara Pievatolo. The full video of the meeting may be browsed, together with the materials presented by the speakers: slides from Di Donato; slides from Pievatolo; slides from Zanni. The organizers expressed their satisfaction with the presence of a public large and interested in the issue of open access.
Wikipedia and women
As we announced in the previous number of the newsletter, on Saturday March 23 in Bologna Frieda Brioschi, Emma Tracanella and Ginevra Sanvitale took part in the meeting "Marilyn, Rita, Catherine: Wikipedia and women". Here is a very special report of the meeting, told through the tweets of the day.
- April 5, Bergamo: in the event "Tablet School", promoted and supported by the Research Center ImparaDigitale ("Learn Digital"), Maurizio Codogno (spokesperson for Wikimedia Italia) is one of the experts who will answer students' questions. ImparaDigitale Study Centre is an association established in March 2012 with the aim of promoting the development of an innovative teaching method, for allowing Italian and European school system to benefit significantly from the potential offered the introduction of digital technology. You can browse the program of the event, which will take place on 5 and 6 April.
- April 9, Bologna: the University of Bologna organizes a meeting on The disputed network. Participation, creativity, citizenship and digital media. The debate "Productions Bottom: Wikinomics, crowdsourcing crowdfunding" will see the participation of Frieda Brioschi (President of Wikimedia Italy) with Luca De Biase (IULM), Federico Bo and Tania Innamorati (Cineama). The appointment is at 17:00 at Palazzo Marescotti-Brazzetti, via Barberia 4, 40123 - Bologna.
News from Wiki world
- Sue Gardner announced his resignation from the post of Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. Read the post (in English) on the official blog of the WMF, and the article in Italian that reports the news.
- The computer science department of Wikimedia Commons has made it even easier to illustrate Wikipedia entries with photos taken with your smartphone: you can load the image directly on the page. Here the post in which they explain the news.
- The translation mode on Wikipedia have been improved.
Notice: this newsletter is exclusively intended for information about Wikimedia Italia, both to its members and to the general public; as per Art. 1, Comma 2, Legge 7 marzo 2001 no. 62, it is not an editorial product