Official bulletin from Wikimedia Italia Association.
Wikimedia Conference 2013 in Milano
From April 18 to 21 Milan hosted the Wikimedia Conference 2013, the annual international meeting for discussing the state of the Wikimedia movement.
Some numbers: about 150 delegates from all over the world attended the meeting from forty chapters and groups, a dozen of volunteers of Wikimedia Italia for support, two facilitators moderated the sessions, 200 notebooks were used, as many pens were consumed too, 12 eggs (!) were needed...
If you want to know more, please consult the web page where you may also find the complete program of the conference, with reports and slides of meetings, and to Wikimedia Commons where you can see over 500 photos of the event.
A report of the event dedicated to Wikipedia and education is available on the Wikimedia Foundation blog.
Libraries and Wikipedia
Wikipedia approaches libraries and vice versa. The series of Wikimedia initiatives for connecting the two worlds continues.
- Sala Borsa library, Bologna
- Saturday, April 20, Piero Grandesso held a workshop for those who want to know something more about Wikipedia, steal some secret on how getting the best from it and maybe become an active contributor. The public, very heterogeneous, was particularly interested in the presentation; among the attendees there also were some librarian0.
- Saturday, May 4 Ginevra Sanvitale, expert Wikipedian, will conduct the first collective edit-a-thon in the library: a marathon of writing entries, dedicated in particular to the female figures in the fields of history, science and literature. The meeting, designed for users who already know how to move within Wikipedia, will be held from 15 to 18 in the Internet area; it is free, but booking is required.
, Public Library of Cles (Trento)
- Thursday, May 9, [:it:Utente:Giaccai|Susanna Giaccai] will hold a course on being introduced to Wikipedia aimed at librarians, teachers and educators, to provide basic knowledge on the functioning of Wikipedia. The meeting will take place from 14 to 17, at the Hall Borghesi-Bertolla of the library. Registration is required: reservations will be accepted up to the 100 available seats.
Wikipedia goes.... to the university
Wednesday, April 24, was the last date in the session meetings on Wikipedia addressed to the students of the last year of the Nursing Bachelorate of the Fondazione IRCCS - National Cancer Institute of Milan. The creator of the initiative was Franciaio, supported by Ilario and Mizardellorsa in the role of teachers. The experience just ended will be continued next year too: the "Wikipedian day" will become a real elective course for nursing students at the University of Milan, with the assignment of university credits. In addition, some students have already been proposed to put Wikipedia in the center of the dissertations for obtaining their degrees. Moreover, other hospitals helding degree courses are interested to promote a similar initiative for their students. We will keep you updated!
Wikimedia Italia on Corriere.it
Frieda Brioschi says, in an interview with Corriere della Sera, the association's activities, starting from some considerations on the participative web and the possibilities for young people to make Wikipedia an opportunity for personal growth, learning to create the web without it dragging them.
Andrea Zanni (member of Wikimedia Italy board), participated on Monday, April 22 to World Wide Rome - Open Science - I am the mind, an event dedicated to Nobel Prize winner Rita Levi Montalcini on the anniversary day of her birth. In scienza e coscienza. In memoria di Aaron Swartz (In science and conscience. In memory of Aaron Swartz) is the title of his talk, dedicated to the young "martyr" of open access. Clicking here, you can see the full video; here instead you can read a reflection of Zanni, published on "WChe Futuro!" web magazine.
The event was also attended by Maurizio Napolitano, another member of Wikimedia Italia, with a speech titled La conoscenza nella società (Knowledge in the society). clicking here, you can see the full video.
News from WikiWorld
- Can't wait to get home to upload to Commons your latest photos? Now you can do it instantly with a comfortable app for Android and iOs.
- From April 25 the Alpha version of Visual Editor is active on the Wikipedia in Italian. Visual Editor allows you to edit Wikipedia without having to learn Wikisyntax, like in a word processor.
Notice: this newsletter is exclusively intended for information about Wikimedia Italia, both to its members and to the general public; as per Art. 1, Comma 2, Legge 7 marzo 2001 no. 62, it is not an editorial product