Wikimedia News no. 61 - October 2, 2013
Official bulletin from Wikimedia Italia Association.
Members' Meeting, October 2013
Once again this year it is time for our members to come together and confront themselves in the usual discussions on the hot topics of the upcoming seasons! The appointment is in Bologna, at the Biblioteca Sala Borsa, Saturday 19 October 2013. In the morning, Wikimedia Italia organizes in the Auditorium an event open to everyone, while the afternoon will be dedicated to the Members' Meeting at the Urban Center.
The first call is scheduled for 10:00 am, while the official start of work (second call) is fixed at 14.00. End will be approximately at 18.30. Among the items on the agenda, we will discuss on the events for next year, the organization of Wikimania 2015, the scrutiny of the projects in the pipeline for 2014, in addition to the ratification of the resolutions of the Board.
The meeting is public, but only members in good standing with the fee for 2013 are allowed to vote. We also invite non-members to take part in the event in the morning and to communicate their presence by filling out the registration form by 18 October. On our own site you may found instead indication for any proxies, in case you can not be present to the appointment.
The offer of hospitality to Wikimedians arriving in crowds to Bologna is always welcome: if you have a bed, a comfortable couch or enough space for a sleeping bag, report it on the site of Wikimedia page of the event.
During the month of September 2013, member cards were shipped to new members and those who have renewed in time the registration fee for 2013. If you have not received yet the card (despite having already paid up the fee) let us know by writing to our secretary. On the 2013 card stands the winning photo of Wiki Loves Monuments Italy 2012: the image captures the Ancient Roman Amphitheater in Santa Maria Capua Vetere and was taken by Nicola D'Orta, now also a member of Wikimedia Italy. As always, this photo has been released under CC BY-SA 3.0 and made available to all on equal terms.
A card was also sent to those member who, at the beginning of September, they had not yet made the payment, we are pleased to see that many of them are regularizing their position with enthusiasm! To everyone else, we remember the guidelines for renewal, that can be found here.
Wiki Loves Monuments 2013: all the numbers
Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 photo contest just endend. Once again, several records were outdone this year, both in the international and the Italian edition. A special thanks to all those who participated by uploading their photos, and to the volunteers of Wikimedia Italia who put their energies to make the 2013 edition a great success! Now you just have to wait for the verdict of the jury: the prizes can be found described in Wiki Loves Monuments Italia blog. For those who still did not have clear ideas about the contest, please read this article (in Italian) which appeared on Corriere.it and the interview (in English) released by Cristian Consonni (Vice President of Wikimedia Italia and ' member of the international team of Wiki Loves Monuments).
All over the world:
- Photos uploaded: 369,580
- Participants: 11,720
- Photos uploaded: 8,082
- Participants: 527
- Monuments freed: 2,145
- Number of supporting institutions: 222
- Project partners: 6
- Sponsoring institutions: 15
Wikimedia Conference 2014
Monday, September 30 was the last day to apply to host the Wikimedia Conference 2014. By Tuesday, October 15 it will be established which chapter will be the next organizer of the conference. Candidates are four: Germany, India, Sweden, Italy. On this page, together with the individual proposals of the four candidates, discussions are ongoing on how to improve the annual meeting of the Wikimedia movement.
Chapters Dialogue Interview
Wikimedia Deutschland has launched an initiative called Chapters Dialogue Interview. The goal is to collect stories, experiences, strengths and weaknesses of the chapters that make up the network of the Wikimedia movement, with the aim of defining the status of the current situation and lay the foundation for future development. Nicole Ebber, Head of International Affairs of Wikimedia Deutschland, manages the project accompanied by a consultant, Kira Kraemer, which in addition to his experience brings to the research her fundamental neutral point of view.
Kira and Nicole are making visits to all the Wikimedia chapters in the world to interview both board members and staff of each organization; Monday, 30 September it was the turn of Wikimedia Italia. Frieda (President of Wikimedia Italia) and Laurentius (Secretary of Wikimedia Italy) for the board, Emma (Coordinator of Wiki Loves Monuments) and Francesca (Secretary) for the staff, answered questions from Kira.
- Until October 3, you can subscribe to the Social Innovation Camp of Florence, event dedicated to the socially useful ideas for enterprises.
- October 5, Florence: Wikimedia participates to Florence BiblioPride, with a seminar entitled "Libraries and Wikipedia: open data and skill sharing". For the association will be present Frieda (President of Wikimedia Italia), Andrea (Head of the Wikimedia Italia projects), Anna Lucarelli, Virginia Gentilini and PierFranco Minsenti (librarians). Take a look at general program of BiblioPride and the seminar program.
- October 4-6, Rovereto (TN): OSMit2013, a gathering of the Italian community of OpenStreetMap. This year the event is organized in collaboration with Wikimedia Italia. The event will take place at the Urban Center of the Municipality of Rovereto. In addition to the official site for all the information you may follow the Twitter account, the Wiki page and read an interesting post written by Cristian Consonni and published on the site of the Forum for the Public Administration. To participate online registration is recommended .
- October 10-13, Pisa: Internet Festival. As part of the event, Friday, October 11 at the Cinema Teatro Lux, six women will compete on the subject Gender Digital Divide. The protagonists of the debate: Ivana Pais, Leda Guidi, Flavia Marzano, Frieda (President of Wikimedia Italia), Claudia Vago, Julie Bicocchi. The appointment is in Piazza Santa Caterina 6, Pisa, from 15:30 to 16:50.
- October 12, Pisa: in the context of the Internet Festival, the annual Open Meeting-Event for the States-General of Innovation association will be held. Wikimedia Italia is a member of the organization and gladly spreads the news. Place: Hall of the Provincial Council, Province of Pisa, Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II 14.
- The event Be Matricola 2.0 on Sunday, Sept. 29, in which a talk by Virginia Gentilini on Wikipedia was scheduled, has been postponed because of the bad weather conditions that hit Bologna. We will keep you updated on the new date.
Notice: this newsletter is exclusively intended for information about Wikimedia Italia, both to its members and to the general public; as per Art. 1, Comma 2, Legge 7 marzo 2001 no. 62, it is not an editorial product