Wikimedia news no. 64
Wikimedia News no. 64 - November 14, 2013
Official bulletin from Wikimedia Italia Association.
Archaeowiki Press Release
Thursday, November 7th a press conference of the project Archeowiki. New archaeologist in Lombardia. Real and virtual paths was held in Milan, in the picturesque setting of the Tiepolo room at the headquarters of the Cariplo Foundation (co-financing organization ). Faced with a large and varied audience Dario Bolis (Director of Communications and External Relations in Cariplo), Frieda Brioschi (President of Wikimedia Italia), Grazia Facchinetti (Superintendence for Archaeological Heritage of Lombardy) and Filippo Del Corno (City Councillor for Culture of the Municipality of Milan) presented the initiative. The public showed great interest in Archaeowiki: both for its values, including the sharing of knowledge as an engine of growth, and for its main purpose, namely attracting new users to archeology, especially young students, elderly people and the disabled. It was much appreciated, also, the fact that the project leans towards the less-known archaeological museums of Lombardy.
A few places for schools are still available. If you are interested, contact the secretary of Wikimedia Italia firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award ceremony for Wiki Loves Monuments Italia
The time is finally over: we are ready to announce the winners of Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 Italia. The appointment is for Saturday, November 23, at 17:00 at the Libreria Hoepli in Milano (Via Hoepli 5). See you there!
WMI supports the creation of the Italian chapter of OpenStreetMap Foundation
The Italian community of OpenStreetMap is in turmoil: since long it is considering to to create in our country to a chapter of the OSM Foundation and during the last edition of OSMit, the Conference of the Italian community of OpenStreetMap, the idea of letting WMI become the Italian chapter of OSM Foundation was debated. The proposal was liked by members of Wikimedia Italy, so today all those who wish to contribute to the creation of OpenStreetMap Italia are called to arms: you can just subscribe to Wikimedia Italia, indicating as reason "to build the Italian OSM chapter." Our association, achieved 10 new members who sign with this purpose, will begin to define themselves also as the "Working Group for the Italian OSM chapter." When 25 users are reached, a request to OSM Foundation will be made to become the official Italian chapter. Even someone who is already a member can help achieve the quota: it's enough to make at least fifty changes on OpenStreetMap assets, and have at least three months of contributions in this regard. Do not delay! sign up to participate actively in the dissemination of OSM in Italy!
Presentation of Sestopedia
Friday, November 8, at the Mage in Sesto San Giovanni, the project Sestopedia was officially presented: Wikimedia Italy was represented by .mau.. Sestopedia, the brainchild of director and screenwriter Giusi Castelli and implemented by the non-profit organization Associazione Lavoro e Integrazione (Association for Employment and Integration), is based on what has been done in the Welsh town of Monmouth, which was completely "wikipedized" with the participation of their citizens. Sesto San Giovanni, which made a proposal to UNESCO to be insertes as World Heritage Site for its rich heritage of industrial architecture, would like to take this initiative, with the help of Wikimedia Italia for the part of computer literacy.
- November 14, Stra (VE): for the Week of the enterprise culture of Confindustria, the Museo Rossimoda of the shoe, together with Europeana Fashion, organizes at its headquarters in Villa Foscarini Rossi an edithaton. Privileged recipients: students of the University of Padua and the IUAV of Venice whose studies are related to marketing and fashion design. Hours 10-16. For Wikimedia Italy Virginia Gentilini will attend.
- November 16, Ivrea: at Officina H the meeting Didattica Aperta (Open Education) is scheduled. The theme of the meeting is "Free access to software and knowledge in the School and University". The event will provide an opportunity to discuss sharing of knowledge and free resources in training. The invitation is extended to everybody, but places are limited. To register, simply fill out the form on the site.
- November 18, Monza: at 18.00 the exhibition dedicated to the edition of Monza and Brianza of Wiki Loves Monuments opens. Until November 30 the best photographs will be exhibited at the beautiful Saletta Reale, near track 1 of the Monza train station. Opening hours from November 19: Tuesday to Saturday from 15.00 to 18.00 and by appointment, in collaboration with the non-profit organization Association of Friends of Museums of Monza and Brianza .
- November 18 and 27, December 4, Mestre: the meetings of the project Wiki VEZ keep going on.
- November 24 - December 1: happy birthday Wikisource! The project is ten years old and the international language communities are organizing a celebration of the anniversary at its best. The Italian team also joins the party and announces a competition to re-reading and proofing text in Wikisource: the winner will get an ebook reader offered by Wikimedia Italia. The competition will be open from 24 November (00.00) until December 1st (23:59).
- November 25 and 26, Trento: Bibliohackathon, promoted by Fondazione Bruno Kessler, MART and Wikimedia Italia.
- November 29, Rome: Workshop Linked open data (LOD): an opportunity for digital cultural heritage, promoted by ICCU. Among the teachers, Luca Martinelli of Wikimedia Italia. Here the programme. It is necessary an online subscription.
- December 4, Florence: BTO2013 (Buy Tourism Online). Frieda Brioschi (President of Wikimedia Italia) will talk about the experience of Wiki Loves Monuments within the panel "Libertà e partecipazione".
Notice: this newsletter is exclusively intended for information about Wikimedia Italia, both to its members and to the general public; as per Art. 1, Comma 2, Legge 7 marzo 2001 no. 62, it is not an editorial product