Official bulletin from Wikimedia Italia Association.
Wikimedia Conference 2013
Wikimedia Foundation gave Wikimedia Italia the grant which had been requested as financial support for the hosting of Wikimedia Conference, which will take place in Milan from April 18 to 21. The conference will be attended by the Wikimedia Foundation board and a delegation from each Wikimedia chapter and affiliate. The convention, held annually, aims to introduce the various members themselves, create collaborations and talk about the current situation.
"Autori in Wikipedia" needs help
The competition "Autori in Wikipedia (Authors in Wikipedia)", organized by Wikimedia Italia, AICA (Section of Milan) and Ellis Network, rewards the best articles in Wikipedia written by students. For the schoolyear 2012-2013 we have been joined by 16 teachers and 20 classes. The goal is to produce 130 items (original, translated or improved). As with last year, the project needs the cooperation of teachers and Wikipedians for the valuation of items, which is made by a pair (teacher + Wikipedian) so that each one can rate the articles according to their skills. We already had 13 teachers in the jury, now we need Wikipedians! Would you help us? To apply, or have further information, please write to Roberto Didoni at <rodidon at libero.it>.
Wikimania 2013 will be held in Hong Kong from 7 to 11 August 2013. This year Wikimedia Italia will provide again eight scolarships to allow broad participation. The Committee for the selection of fellows will be composed of Cotton, Nemo, Ilario and Franciaio. The call for participation will soon be published.
Librarians and Wikipedians allied
During the 'annual Librarians' conference (Stelline Foundation in Milan, 14 and 15 March 2013), some Wikipedians and librarians met to discuss possible synergies. The theme of the conference was "LIBRARIES IN SEARCH OF ALLIES. Beyond cooperation, towards new strategies for sharing." There has been talk of possible integration with Wikipedia to the new Thesaurus of the National Library of Florence and other issues of common interest. Those who want to know more may participate to the collaborative project of Wikipedia or subscribe to the mailing list.
In the following days, Wikimedia Italia will be involved in various appointments. Take a note, there could be one near you!
- Thursday, March 21 the meeting "Open Access, il sapere libero" (Open Access, the free knowledge) will be held at the Scuola Normale Superiore of Pisa (Sala Azzurra - Palazzo della Carovana, h 16.00). Andrea Zanni (Aubrey), board member and manager of Wikimedia Italia projects, will attend.
- Thursday, March 21 will be held the meeting "Wik-OPD-edia? Il senso della presenza delle istituzioni culturali pubbliche nel Web 2.0" (The sense of the presence of public cultural institutions in Web 2.0), at the Salone del restauro in Ferrara (h 15.30 - 16.30, Room C, first floor, between the pav. 5 and 6). Frieda Brioschi (Chairman of Wikimedia Italia).
- Saturday, March 23, Urban Center in Bologna will host the event "Marilyn, Rita, Caterina: Wikipedia and women", by "Girl Geek Dinners Bologna" and Wikimedia Italia. Among the speakers Frieda Brioschi (Chairman of Wikimedia Italia), Emma Tracanella (Project Manager of Wiki Loves Monuments Italia) and Ginevra Sanvitale. It is strongly recommended the registration to the event.
News from Wiki world
- Markus Glaser of Wikimedia Deutschland has been elected president of the Wikimedia Chapters Association. The other candidates were :it:Utente:Laurentius|Laurentius]] of Wikimedia Italia and Kirill Lokshin of Wikimedia DC.
- Space WikiAfrica has been inaugurated last 15 March, at Doual'art, center for contemporary art based in Douala, Cameroon. Computers connected to the Internet via a broadband connection, along with the help of volunteer experts from Wikipedia, allow anyone who wishes to contribute to Wikipedia. WikiAfrica Cameroon project was made by Fondazione Lettera 27 and Africa Centre, led by Doual’art and Orange Foundation.
Notice: this newsletter is exclusively intended for information about Wikimedia Italia, both to its members and to the general public; as per Art. 1, Comma 2, Legge 7 marzo 2001 no. 62, it is not an editorial product